Tuesday, July 14, 2009

www.jim-haynes.com

Jim Haynes holds a dinner party every Sunday and everyone is invited. If you want to go, send him an email and the first 50 to 60 people he hears from get the okay to show up at his place in south Paris at 8pm for dinner and, more importantly, introductions. He believes that you make memories of people, not places, so he holds these dinners to facilitate meeting people.

We were lucky to attend last Sunday's dinner and had a great time. I brought my video camera with me in hopes of getting interviews, but once I got there all the conversations were so lively and the small home and its courtyard so congested that I got too caught up. It was a mix of people from all over the world, most of whom spoke English. At least half of the guests were there for the first time and the other half were either neighbors who came regularly or fans of Jim's who attend every time they are in town. We met one couple who met at the dinner 12 years ago and married 9 years ago.

We also met a group of half a dozen twenty somethings, a mix of American, British and French, who live in Paris and invited us to meet up with them again last night. We took them up on it and had a great time. There was a lot of talk about my project and I continue to compile notes on people's comments, reactions, and stories, but last night I also got a taped interview. Romain is a graphic design student who has studied in London and speaks fantastic English, though he was a little nervous and took notes on his answers beforehand, which I liked because it is what I have done in France before every single phone call I have made. The plan was to post my interviews here, but that doesn't appear to work. I left it to upload while I took a shower and it still didn't complete. I'll try again later, but for now I am off to enjoy Bastille Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment